Sunday, January 9, 2011

The Beginning

uniform
     The first week of class is now kind of a blur.  We started on Monday with introductions to all of the staff and our classmates.  They served us fresh croissants and chocolate croissants, they were awesome and I'm super pumped to learn to make them myself.  The second and third day we did a sanitation class that felt like a week.  The teacher was pretty entertaining and the test didn't seem too hard after all the videos and such.  Thursday we learned some in depth things about milk and butter which may sound boring but was very interesting.  Friday they went over some info about bread and eggs.  Everyone in the class had to say something interesting or weird about themselves.  I hate doing things like that because I never know what to say.  I said how I make up words sometimes; I heard Tony say jeezies once and it made my day.  We were also given our amazing tool kits!  I feel cool carrying it around the city =)
    There are 72 people in the program and they are split into a morning class and an afternoon class.  Morning and afternoon are each split into two groups of 18.  That means there is a total of 4 groups that they call streams.  I'm in stream 1.
     Making contacts in the food industry is super important so they strongly encourage us to do stages.  A stage is basically cold calling a business (restaurant, bakery, etc) and persuading them to let you volunteer there.  While we're there we'll be doing whatever they ask us to.  From taking out the garbage to I don't know what (because I've never worked in a restaurant, bakery, etc).  I should do as many as I can while I'm in school but I'm definitely nervous about it.  I think I'm more nervous about the phone call than the going and working there part.
     Next week we start in the kitchen with basic skills.  We start at 6:45 on Monday morning.  I'm giving myself an hour to get downtown so my alarm'll be going off at about 4:45.  This may seem really early (and it is) but it's not as early as I use to get up when I opened at Starbucks.  Regardless of the early hours I'm uber excited about school.  And yes I know, everyone is willing to be a taste tester.

No comments:

Post a Comment