Friday, April 1, 2011

Cake Exams


     Exams were a little crazy.  Of course I want to get a good grade but I know in the big scheme of things the grade doesn't really matter; I am learning a ton.  Day 2 was a little discouraging but I made up for it today and flew through things.  That being said I had a lot to do so I worked down to the wire and I wasn't alone.
     Day 1 I got pretty much everything I wanted to do done.  Day 2 I somehow screwed up my meringue... twice.  And it was the easy recipe, I have no idea what I was doing.  So I stopped trying and left it for day 3.  This just caused things to get a wee bit backed up.  I knew Day 3 was going to be a doozie and I was not disappointed.
     I'm not going to lie, I enjoy the feeling of working against the clock.  It makes me feel powerful... as long as I end up beating it.  My awesome kicks in and I suddenly have the ability to crank out that wedding cake in 5 minutes no problem.  I'm not joking either; in the last 15 minutes of class I finished making gumpaste flowers (rolling and cutting out rose pedals and leaves, slapping them together and taping it all up), did a final coat of buttercream on my "wedding cake" and then pipped on the same cake.  I pipped a pearl border and did swiss dots around the side.  My boarder looked a bit irregular, you know because I wanted them to look like natural pearls.
     In total we made one Chocolate Hazelnut Mousse Cake, one Buttercream Wedding Cake, one Lemon Curd Tart and a Posy.  The posy was made up of 2 roses, 2 carnations and 3 leaves.

The wedding cake for the exam was like the top tier 
with just one row of swiss dots.

No comments:

Post a Comment