Thursday, February 17, 2011

First Exams!!

     Tomorrow is day three of our practical exams and so far I think I'm doing well.  Day one I made: a lemon pound cake, coconut rochers, pate a choux, dough for my financiers and finally, croissant dough including the first two turns (it takes three before being cut and rolled).  Day two I baked my financiers, made and baked beer bread, chocolate tart shells and pastry cream and caramel to fill/glaze my pate a choux.  The last day will be rolling and baking croissants, toast bread and espresso tarts.  Day three should be a breeze so I fully expect it to be the worst day.
      I feel really good about everything up to now.  My pate a choux has never looked better (they're basically cream puffs and eclairs).  I managed to bake them on day one even though I didn't plan to.  It was a good thing because only a few people baked them on day one and the dash to the oven on day two was somewhat concerning.  Everything has looked at least as good as when I made it before in class and I didn't burn my dry caramel.  Dry caramel is literally just sugar in a pot on the stove; low and slow!
     I love my partner in class and I feel bad because his first two days didn't go as well as mine.  I'm actually really enjoying the change of pace.  We know what has to get done each day and make a game plan.  We share the kitchenaid and the induction with our partner so there can be some slight issues with logistics but we've done fine.
     Also, I love my boots.  They were an impulse buy last year because they were on sale and I don't know how I would be getting through this winter without them.  There might not be snow on the sidewalk but there are plenty of puddles to jump in.
They fit me like a (foot) glove. 

1 comment:

  1. I am glad that this week is going well. I am guessing & hoping there will be samples this weekend. I can't wait to all be together Saturday. It will be the first time since Tony left minus Tony of course.

    ReplyDelete