Sunday, June 5, 2011

Sugar Showpiece


     This is the showpiece we made in class.  It's kind of a hodgepodge of different techniques.  The two round disks on the base are poured sugar.  The white dome is pressed sugar and the rocks and white swirls (or as some of my classmates and I like to call them, the tusks) are made of pastillage.  The roses are pulled sugar and the bird is blown sugar.

Close up of a rose. This one made it all the way home 
with me and is now melting on the kitchen counter.

     I was going to try and get the showpiece home but it just wasn't in the cards for me.  I broke it before I was even out of the school.  Probably for the best, one of my classmates made it to the L.  When I heard the crash of pastillage and saw the sad little shards on the floor, the surrounding peoples reaction was pretty comical.


     Fruit was a prerequisite for making a bird.  First you had to make an apple and then a pear.  Blown sugar definitely isn't easy but when I was first trying to  make that pear I thought a bird would be near impossible.  So I guess in just a few short days I made some progress.

     I really liked working with sugar.  It was not easy and it wasn't always fun, a bit frustrating.  Yet at the end of the week I want more.  The challenge is what makes it so enticing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment