Monday, October 10, 2011

Yay Me!


     A little over a week ago I got an e-mail asking me to come in for a stage at a restaurant called ZED451 and set it up for last thursday.  I had sent them my resume just the night before and was excited to hear back from them so quickly.  In the e-mails the pastry chef sent me, she seemed very nice and answered all my usual questions in one very informative and appreciated e-mail.
     So I was hoping she was awesome when I ended up being a little late (though I don't think she even noticed).  I'm always super paranoid about getting lost and I don't have a fancy smart phone so I have to do my research before I leave the house.  There is one thing you can't always be prepared for and that's stupidity, my own stupidity.  I took the blueline + a bus to get there and I've taken the blueline countless times yet I still got off one stop too early.  And it was rush hour on the el.  I had to wait for three packed trains to go by before I could cram my little body on one.
     Anyway, when I got there they were all super cool.  I basically spent my day cutting and assembling what I like to call teeny tiny tasties or petit fours.  They didn't make me feel tense or uncomfortable or anything, the mood was really relaxed.  Other people said hi and such, it's always nice when people who don't have to still acknowledge you. So when they offered me a job I said "Yes please!" not literally though, I was cool about it.
     My day ended with plating the petit fours.  They make those for large parties who order desserts ahead of time.  So those are totally ready to go and they rotate who works plating at dinner service.  The pastry chef said some people can be a little overwhelmed doing all the plating and such on their first day but I did great.  And I felt great, not flustered at all.
     So needless to say I'm super pumped.  I'm excited to start working and to get over the "I'm super new and don't have a clue" phase.  I'm also excited to think about moving out of the sisters place.  This is somewhere to be proud of, they really take pride in the quality of ingredients.  And look at this place, it's awesome!  Look at me all grown up (tear).
www.zed451.com

1 comment: